Tuesday, April 04, 2006

My Cat Eats Science


So the Vet said that we should feed our cat "Science Diet" cat food. That's fine. I've got no problem with that. She eats it well enough, it doesn't smell bad, it's not too expensive. As cat foods go, it seems like a good one.

Then I start to wonder, "what kind of science am I giving her?" I'm all for science in general, but some sciences are better than others, at least in my opinion. The science she's eating is very crunchy, which leads me to believe she's getting at least some hard science, but she often wanders off by herself just after dinner, so maybe there isn't enough social science in the mix.

Now I'm starting to worry about the various implications of the hard sciences to which I'm exposing my pet. Too much Topology? Not enough combinatorics? It's hard to say, but she is very productive in the biochemistry department. Is she getting her proper allocation of the cognitive sciences? If she is I sure can't tell it. Her high energy physics might be a tad overdone, if anything.

It's such a mixed bag these days, and the product label is no help at all. I'd like to be sure she's getting enough evolution, but not so much that we have to redefine the nature of our relationship. Life is complicated enough already.

No comments: